Telescopic denture is a also known as an overlay denture.
A complete denture that is supported by both soft tissue and natural teeth that have been altered so as to permit the denture to fit over them. The altered teeth may have been fitted with short or long copings, locking devices, or connecting bars.
Synonym: bar joint denture, hybrid prosthesis, overdenture, telescopic denture.
Some of the benefits of the telescopic overdentures include the prevention of bone loss, esthetic appeal, improved speech (when compared with other types of dentures), proper jaw alignment, and improved chewing efficiency. These overdenture systems can last a lifetime and increase chewing power by up to 300%.
The Telescopic Bridge
The telescopic bridge or prosthesis is a dual supported( teeth and gums) removable coverage restoration designed to fit over your natural teeth and gum areas in order to replace missing teeth.
The telescopic denture consists of:
The primary crowns or caps made of precious or non precious dental alloys that will be cemented on the prepared teeth. The secondary crowns (dental alloys) that are slipping over the primary caps and thus maintaining the bridge through sliding friction tight on the teeth. The secondary crowns have facings (surfaces) of acrylic resin with ceramic fillers (the framework made out of non precious dental alloy is embedded in plastic (acrylic resin) and supports the acrylic teeth which will replace the own missing teeth. ) The best results are obtained when primary and secondary crowns are made of gold or precious dental alloys.
• Replace missing teeth
• Improved appearance compared to clasp retained partial dentures
• Improved chewing ability
• Provides support to the periodontal structures
• Cheaper than comparable implant sustained bridges
• Can be easily fabricated and applied when there are at least two or three teeth left on the jaw. Ideally it would be fitted on 4 to 6 teeth to achieve best results
• Does not need clasps or other visible metallic parts on the front teeth
• The bridge sits tight although it can be easily removed in order to practice the regular mouth hygiene
• Prevents future tooth loss- The secondary framework can prevent further tooth loss especially when teeth are weakened by periodontitis (gum disease)
• The dual support on teeth and gums will distribute the chewing forces equally onto the teeth and gums thus preventing the teeth from overloading. Overloading is one of the most frequent causes of tooth loss
• Long life expectancy- Our experience shows that telescopic dentures inserted on 4 and more teeth have an average lifespan of at least 10 years and often more than that
• Best suited for patients who do not want or cannot have implant surgery due to anxiety, high costs for implants, diseases or medication that will not allow the insertion of implants
• Maintenance, repairs and extension can be easily done at low costs
In case of tooth loss there is no need to make a new bridge. The framework can be easily extended within minutes. A fixed bridge or an implant supported bridge would need an expensive complete renewal.
• Under circumstances healthy teeth need to be prepared thus resulting in loss of healthy tooth substance. This may apply for fixed bridges as well.
• It needs to be taken out of the mouth at least once a day for cleaning. This may be bothersome for some patients
• Wearing a removable denture might be hard to overcome psychologically, giving a sense of ageing
• The telescopic crowns are slightly larger (bulky) than similar ceramic crowns
• Requires more appointments for completion when compared to fixed bridges
• It often requires a palatine (roof of the mouth) metal bow in the upper jaw that spans across the palate, and in the lower jaw a thin metal bow behind the front teeth
• At the beginning it may look expensive than comparable fixed bridges. But seen on a long term basis due to low follow-up costs it is definitely the best choice
Free Check up
Appointment and Inquiry
Email: [email protected]
Accept major card
Download Patient Information Brochure:
My Profile @
Dental implants Brands link